Knight Honors Veteran Truckers with the Fleet of Heroes
Knight Transportation is proud to recognize our veteran drivers with our Fleet of Heroes. Each Knight driver who travels in a Fleet of Heroes truck is a veteran who has been honored in an unveiling ceremony at Knight's North Office.
Army - Network Systems Operator - Knight Driver since 2019.
"It is satisfying to be in an industry that is considered as one of the "American heroes" right now. It is cool to see the backbone and behind the scenes of everything, seeing all the distribution centers for all the big-name companies."
- Marcia Lechenbill
Marcia Luchenbill was raised in Columbus, Ohio. She joined the military in August of 2001, a month before 9/11. She met her husband while they were both serving in the military and married him in 2005. They have 3 children. Marcia was hired by Knight Transportation in December of 2019 and, by February, had her own truck. She joined the trucking industry primarily to support her family, but also loves traveling, driving, and being challenged.
Served 4 years in the Army as a network specialist.
How the military prepared her for a career:
- Discipline. You have to get up in the morning even if you don’t want to, be professional, work well with others.
- Mission attitude. You are always thinking about your mission, or your goal, and you work until that mission is accomplished.
- Adaptability. That carries over to any job, especially with truck driving.
Top trucking industry issues she's passionate about:
- Truckers against Trafficking. As a trucking industry, we can really be on the front lines and bring awareness to this issue, which is a huge global problem.
- Recycling availability. There needs to be recycling containers at truck stops.
Favorite part of working with Knight: I like adventure, I like to be in motion, I like challenges, I like travelling, I like driving. There are a lot of good benefits. I enjoy being behind the scenes of all the retailers. I like to see how all the commerce happens and everything going into it. You get to see how everyone is involved and recognize that everyone is important.
I see myself staying with it for a long time. I am going to keep working until I can’t work anymore. I have a goal to be in the million miles club.
Navy - Communications Specialist - Knight Driver since 2016.
"The military protects [our] nation and way of life, while trucks supply the goods so we can enjoy our way of life."
- Chris McCarroll
In October 2016, McCarroll started his career at Knight as a trainee. He worked as an experienced driver, a classroom instructor, a recruiter, and a driver development manager. Currently, he drives OTR.
Served 4 years in Jacksonville, FL.
Favorite piece of Navy equipment: Blue Angels - FA - 18, #7, the only Blue Angel that is a two-seater.
Favorite parts of serving:
- Having a uniform every day so you never have to pick out an outfit.
- A unique camaraderie with brothers and sisters that haven’t ever been found in a different civilian job.
- Sharing a special bond with who you’re serving with.
Favorite part of working with Knight: The people. Every department from dispatch to break down. From the mechanics to payroll. Knight hires the best talent to support the drivers and the company.
Join a veteran friendly trucking company
Finding employment can sometimes be a challenge when you return home after serving in the armed forces — but it doesn’t have to be. Start your trucking career with Knight and enjoy rewarding, mission-focused work, flexible schedules, and competitive pay. Learn more about careers for veterans at Knight by talking to a recruiter.