Why Become a Trainer?
- Pass the torch! Establish a professional legacy by investing in another driver's development and career. Contribute to develop safe and productive drivers just like you to keep our roads safer!
- Boost that resume! Being a trainer elevates any resume. In a sense, you're you're in management overseeing the development and training of our employees.
- Gain financially! The average pay annually for a trainer is $70,000 to $80,000 per year, whereas the top performers make more than $100,000 per year.
- Get more flexibility! You decide when you take a student. You don't have to take back-to-back students and it is ok to take a break. But remember that the more students you train, the more money and impact you make.
- Make new friends! Many of our trainers have developed long-lasting friendships with their students and continue to mentor them throughout their careers.
- Trainers are compensated with ALL the miles on the truck, which includes what the student drives. So, if a trainer drivers 2,500 miles for the week and the student drives 1,500 miles, that trainer will be compensated for 4,000 miles at his or her regular pay rate.
- The trainer will also receive an additional $200 a week for having student on the truck. Our top trainers can earn over $100,000 a year.
What Do You Need to Qualify as a Trainer?
- Experienced drivers and/or former trainers must have a minimum of 30 days with Knight.
- Must have at least 60,000 Miles solo & 1 winter season driving OTR.
- Must be a company driver or an independent contractor working with Knight.
- Must be willing to run a minimum of 2 weeks at a time.
- No more than 1 moving violation in the last year.
- No more than 1 preventable Incident/Accident in last year.
- Review all preventable accidents.
- Smart Drive installed with a score < 30.
- Review any motorist reports in the last year.
- Must show Appropriate use of logs (violations, correct line 4 use and PC use, unassigned trips)
- Must be current on safety training
- Must have completed Online Orientation.