WE’RE IN BUSINESS TOGETHER
Knight understands what it takes to successfully run your own business. If you work hard, drive safely and want an opportunity to succeed in every area of your life, become a Knight independent contractor.
With industry-leading financials, partnering with Knight allows independent contractors to enjoy greater stability.
We provide the tools to assist you with running your business. This includes accounting and financial management resources and advisers.
A contract with Knight gives you access to fuel, maintenance, parts and other discount programs.
Additional Benefits of Contracting with Knight
Discounted Insurance Options
Maintenance and Tire Discounts
Flexible Lease Payments
24/7 Support from 30 Service Centers
Multiple truck lease options
Flexible hometime based on your lifestyle
No trailer rental fee
Fuel discounts and protection
Low-cost bobtail, occupational accident and physical damage insurance available
Weekly settlements (with exclusive settlement representative)
Additional pay for deadhead miles (driving empty)
Independent Contractor Driver Qualifications
- At least 24 years of age
- 1 year OTR experience within the last 5 years
- Must complete Contractor Qualification Process
- Max of two moving violations in last 2 years
- No more than one preventable accident in last 2 years
- Wheel base less than 265 inches
- Sliding fifth wheel
- 3-axle with sleeper
- Stack height 13’ to 13’6”
- Maximum weight of 18,500 lbs.
- Fifth wheel height of 47.5” or less
- Governed at 68 mph Cruise, 70 mph Pedal (we cover cost)
- Anti-theft system installed
- Tractor must pass DOT inspection
What Our Drivers Think
I appreciate that I am taken care of at Knight. The people are people – I’m not just a number and the dispatchers aren’t just a dispatcher. I work for the best team in the business.
- Dave O’Connell, Driver - Southern California
Knight has been the best company for me overall. They provide good miles, are easy to communicate with, and it gets better and better.
I didn’t know what a fun and exciting ride it would be with Knight. Knight provided a career for me with the best equipment and support group. I am blessed.
If you do your job and do it well, you won’t have any problems at all. Knight gets us home when we need to get home and they always keep us in good equipment.
I enjoy how organized Knight is, how they provide good equipment, and that they acknowledge everything I do. I am always shown respect as a driver and they train their dispatchers well.
- Blake Burdette served in the Air Force, Driver – Lakeland, FL
Knight treats me well and gets me home when I ask. I have a great dispatcher and I love the truck I got.
- Stephen Smeltxer, Reefer Driver - Columbus, OH
This has been my favorite job I’ve ever had. I like how there is no pressure at Knight. We have a choice and they listen and take the time to talk.
- Cesar Martinez, Port & Rail Driver - Los Angeles, CA
If I have a problem on the road I can always call them to get my problem resolved. I don’t have to worry about sitting for days waiting to see if they are going to take care of it.
- Claudio Clark, Independent Contractor for 7.5 years
When I got started, it took about a week, maybe two, because it was my first time I didn’t know much about trucking. I thought it was a nice smooth process. The recruiter told me all of the steps and information I needed to have with me before I came over to Knight and did orientation. When I had everything all set up, they said OK, come in this Monday.
- David Miller, Reefer Driver (Squire)